Wednesday, March 3, 2010

EB fought the cold and the cold won

Annalise is one year, four months and three weeks old.
We have co-slept since she came home from the hospital, before that really. She has slept by my side every night of her life except one. That was the night that we were told we had to leave the hospital, but Annalise had to stay in the nursery. It has been nothing but wonderful. Well, sometimes it was frustrating, like when I was exhausted and Annalise wanted to flop around like a seal or when a rogue foot ended up kicking me in the throat.

On Sunday, Annalise got her own bed. It's a twin sized one from IKEA. It's right beside our bed, so in reality, she's not sleeping any farther from me than she was when she was actually in the bed with us.
However, that first night (Sunday night) I barely slept. I kept waking up and checking on her. I don't know what I thought was going to happen. Regardless, she slept from 1am (she took a nap from 7:30pm-8:30pm and I couldn't get her into bed before 12am. I am a bad mother, clearly) until 5am in her very own bed. At 5am she woke up and climbed into bed next to me.

Monday night, I had food poisoning, but I didn't know if it was a flu or not, so I put EB into bed next to Trendon and I slept on the tiny bed because I was up and down all night and didn't want to bother them.

And then there was Tuesday night (aka last night). Annalise has been fighting a cold for a few days now. But yesterday her nose started to run in earnest and she started acting crabby.
Last night she would only sleep for 45 mins at a time. Then, she'd wake up and cry for a few minutes until I got her back to sleep. This went on from 11:30pm-10am. I got better sleep when she was a newborn.
Just as I would fall to sleep, she would wake up screaming. I think it's because she couldn't breathe very well. I don't know. All I DO know is that I was an absolute zombie this morning.
And then something miraculous happened today.
Annalise slept from 1pm-4pm. A THREE HOUR nap.

But I have to say, despite the hellacious parts of last night, she sure did make falling asleep the first time pleasant. She would "sing" a song to be and pat my hair (like I do her) and then she pretended to put lotion on my face (rubbing her hands together and then gently rubbing them on my face). Is there anything in the world better than when your baby is sweet to you?

Anyway, enough babbling about that.
I only have two pictures to post, one of Annalise reading (pretty much what she does all day) and then one of her post-bath in her new towel-poncho.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sorry she has a cold and making for terrible nights of sleep, but I'm def. glad for your 3hr nap, and know how wonderful those can be! You would never think that just 3 small hours could be so refreshing, but that's how I feel after I work all night and Aiden takes one. I love her poncho towell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those type of nights are hard-- you know, we did Hudson's crib with one side off pulled to our bed for a year and half-- and he's been in his twin size bed for 2m now---w/ my big, pregnant body squeezed in w/ him b/c of my unnecessary fear of someone taking him...but I am working on that..this has really helped me:
    "We can't be everywhere. But God can. We can't see everything. But God can. We can't know everything. But God can. No matter what age our children are, releasing them into God's hands is a sign of our faith and trust in Him and is the first step toward making a difference in their lives. Prayer for our children begins there."

    ReplyDelete