Saturday, January 16, 2010

We're home

I don't have time for a real blog. I'm about to get Annalise to take a nap.
We're watching the news coverage of the Haiti situation and I have to say, I am livid.
There are women in Haiti who can't find formula, so they are feeding their babies sugar water. After a few days, the babies will die from malnutrition.
The newscaster asked why she didn't breastfeed and she grimaced and replied "I just didn't"
WHAT THE CRAP?!?! If you are so poor you cannot buy the necessities for everyday life, you don't need to procreate, that aside...you should AT LEAST give your child the benefit of breastmilk.

I cannot believe this. Apparently, the World Health Organization needs to up its educational endeavors.

If I were there (and in a position of influence), I'd be asking the lactating mothers (who aren't HIV positive) to nurse their babies and pump in between feeding so that the little sugar water babies could have decent nutrition. In exchange, I'd make sure they had extra food and water in order to promote proper milk production.

Kelley...I know you know what I'm talking about here.

2 comments:

  1. I am RIGHT there with you--- it KILLS me when those in poverty/low socio economic areas DON'T breastfeed-- I mean, education or not, poor or rich, we all have breasts for the same purpose-- to feed babies...not to sell beer.....and no matter what background you are from, I think most people should have the sense to nurse...but I digress, the whole scene in Haiti is just devastating--- such a sad scene...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just terrible. We may not be breastfeeding now, but was the most important thing in the entire world for me to at least give Aiden 4 months of breastmilk, I can't even imagine just beling like no didn't feel like it! And I've always wondered why woman who don't have enough money don't just breastfeed, it saves sooo much money. Ahh some mothers just don't even care.

    ReplyDelete